The Healthy Homes Coalition is a proud partner of the Get the Lead Out! program. More than 1,350 homes have had lead hazards abated through this financial assistance program.  Click here to learn more.

Healthy Homes
Coalition of West Michigan

Our mission is to improve children's health and wellbeing by eliminating harmful housing conditions.  We achieve that mission through policy and advocacy, outreach and education, direct services, and continuous collaboration.

The Issues:

asthma icon
indoor air quality icon
cockroaches icon
trips and falls icon
lead icon
mold and moisture icon

Asthma

Asthma is the most common chronic health problem in children.  It affects 9.6% of children nationally and is the leading cause of visits to the emergency room and missed school days.

Rates of asthma continue to increase. Children, females, African-Americans, the poor, and urban dwellers and disproportionately affected. Asthma is a life-long condition but can be managed by monitoring and controlling environmental triggers.  The Healthy Homes Coalition helps families assess their homes for common asthma triggers and can connect families with resources to make their homes asthma-safe.

Did You Know...

It's easier to prevent exposure to chemical contaminants than to remove them from the human body.

News & Events:

Healthy Homes Coalition Part of National "Pay for Success" Demonstration Project

Today, the Green & Healthy Homes Initiative (GHHI), a grantee of the Social Innovation Fund’s (SIF) Pay for Success program, and its collaboration partner Calvert Foundation, selected five service providers to participate in regional Pay for Success (PFS) projects. The Healthy Homes Coalition, along with Health Net and the Asthma Network were selected as service providers for the Grand Rapids, MI project.  These organizations will partner with Spectrum Health and Priority Health to develop and implement a local model for west Michigan.


Introducing Our New Office

In case you haven't heard - Healthy Homes is on the move! Read more about the move and new office here.


The Poison Pot

Last week, Jenn noticed a pot on a familiy's stove during a home visit. Being trained in lead poisoning prevention, Jenn knew just how dangerous this beautiful pot might be.