In Case of Emergency

In case of emergency dial 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.

Burns & Scalding

Bathing and kitchen related accidents are the most common causes of scalds and result in approximately 3,800 injuries each year.

 

The Source

Burns come from both open flames as well as hot surfaces, such as stove tops, pot and pans, hot radiators, exhaust flues, exposed light bulbs and more.

Scalds are also common and come from hot food and liquids. One of the most common causes of scalds, surprisingly, is hot water right out of the tap. While tap water may not seem  too hot to a typical adult, children and the elderly have much more sensitive skin and can be harmed when the tap water is above 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

 

Who is at Risk?

Children and the elderly are the most vulnerable to burns and scalds.

 

Health Impacts

Scalds and burns can kill. Burns and scalds cause 9% of home injury deaths.

 

Solutions

  • Check and adjust the temperature of hot tap water. The maximum heat should be set at 120 F.
  • Test children's bath water before placing them in the tub with simple bath thermometer.
  • While cooking on the stovetop, keep pot handles turned inwards.
  • Use oven mitts and potholders, and keep children away from the cook space.
  • Use caution while removing items from the microwave.
  • If you have radiators, install radiator covers.

 

Did You Know...

Hot water should be less than 120 degrees F to avoid risk of scalding.

Resources

Burns and Scald Prevention Tips(578 KB)

From Safe Kids Worldwide

Job Opening - FEMA Worker

The Healthy Homes Coalition has an opening for a FEMA Field Worker.  We are seeking a Spanish-speaking (conversational) candidate to work 24 hours/week.


FEMA Awards Healthy Homes Coalition $51,451 for Fire Safety Program

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced an award of $51,451 on September 9, 2016 to the Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan to make 400 homes safer for children. The award will allow the Healthy Homes Coalition to teach fire safety and install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in 400 homes.


Matthew Breathes Easier!

This spring, our Healthy Housing Specialist Jennifer Spiller began working with Luom and her 5-year-old son, Matthew. Matthew’s asthma was causing him to have a lot of sleepless nights from waking up coughing. Luom was already working with Matthew’s doctor and the Asthma Network of West Michigan to control his asthma, and Healthy Homes was invited to assess their home to see if his environment might be worsening his symptoms.