For children, small doses of carbon monoxide over extended periods of time can cause long-lasting health and developmental problems.
Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the United States. It is an odorless and tasteless gas that is the by-product of combustion (burning fuel). When carbon monoxide is present in the air we breathe, the body is starved of oxygen.
Low levels of carbon monoxide can cause symptoms that resemble an alcohol "hangover," and can be confused with the flu or a cold. These symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
If you become sick and suspect it is because of carbon monoxide, or if your carbon monoxide detector is going off, immediately evacuate your home and contact the fire department. If you feel sick, immediately seek medical attention. Do not wait!
The Healthy Homes Coalition works with families with children to connect them with resources that can help provide a carbon monoxide detector for their home free of charge. Resources to provide these free CO detectors are often limited. To see about getting a free detector for you home, contact the Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan at (616) 241-3300. If resources are not available when you call, we will make sure you get on a waiting list.
Dealing with carbon monoxide is a simple, two-step process. Click on a link below for more information.
- Maintain and use all gas burning appliances according to manufacturer instructions.
- Install adequate carbon monoxide alarms.
For more information contact the Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan at (616) 241-3300.
Making sure children grow up in homes that are healthy and safe is everyone’s job! The Healthy Homes Coalition is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Learn more about specific ways you can help protect children. Connect with us today!